Friday, March 07, 2008

I'm afraid of chickens

Yes its true. Chickens can frighten me.

Now I'm not afraid of eating chicken. I'm not afraid of their eggs. I'm not afraid of the animal themselves.

What I'm afraid of is when they get out. How are you supposed to catch them?

So there it is. I'm afraid of my chickens when they get out.


Today I was talking on the phone to my sister in Michigan. I was a little late in feeding the animals. I usually feed them around 10 and It was about quarter after. The kids had wanted to play outside and so after getting socks, shoes and a jacket on, I let them. I was wandering around the house as my sister and I talked. I was sitting at the computer when C brought me an egg. Look Mom! I got the eggs! And I fed the sheep.

Well I went to look out the back door to make sure all was ok. The sight that greeted me was a door to the coop open and 3 chickens on their way out. It was kind of cute. A had opened the door to be like her sister. She was watching and dancing around in glee with all of the animals around her. I asked C to close the door and she headed out. She brought me another egg, but the door wasn't closed. She couldn't latch it.

Anyway, that was our morning. It was kind of fun to chase chickens. It brought back the memory of a story mom told about getting in trouble for chasing chickens when she was young. They make funny noises and run around crazily.

I might have to let them out now and again just for the show.

Maybe if I wasn't so afraid of trying to catch them :)

by the way, the way we were able to re-catch them was by leaving the big coop door open (the one we use to access the hen house for cleaning) . I simply herded them that way. When they saw home, they hopped right in and proceeded to eat the breakfast I had prepared for them.

I was just checking on them again and one hen is trying to lay her morning egg.

From what I've heard, we might see an interruption in the egg laying for the next week or so. Thats ok. The entertainment was worth it.

No comments: