Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sheep shearing

Today the sheep got sheared. It took about an hour and a half for all 4 sheep. I guess that because they are Cormo, which is 1/2 merino, they have a lot of wrinkles. That means that you have to shear slowly.

Unfortunately the shearer didn't realize that until he was done with Charlie. Poor Charlie. He got nicked quite a few times. The shearer had a powder of sorts that had an antiseptic and a blood thickener or something like that that he only used on the big cuts. Charlie had 2 big cuts. He also had a lot of small nicks that the flies just loved. I wasn't sure if flies laying maggots in his skin was a good thing or not, so smeared them with Bag Balm which seemed to at least keep the flies away.

Photobucket

The second 2 sheep did pretty well. I think they got some minor cuts. But the last sheep (after escaping the shed and being recaptured) had a large chunk of skin taken out (think quarter sized). The shearer put some of his powder on it and the darn sheep wouldn't let me near to see how it was doing.

I didn't see a whole lot of flies on the others backs (which is all they would let me see) so rather than freaking them out again by trying to catch them and bag balm them, I decided to just watch them.

Am I freaking out? Is getting cut this many times a normal thing? I thought shearers prided themselves on not cutting the animal?

I may research this to see if I need a new shearer or if I just need to calm down.

In other news, the shearer knew of someone giving away 2 angora goats. for FREE.

We'll have to think about that one.

1 comment:

Alyson said...

oooh, an angora sweater sounds nice. Think of the things you could make with that stuff!