Friday, May 20, 2005

The Piano

About 2-3 years ago we bought a piano. It was an old upright that weighed about 1,000 pounds. It was green. So you could say that it was unique. It wasn't ugly though. It was uniquely attactive.

However it was not my ideal piano. for one thing I did not want to have to worry about getting 6 guys together every time I wanted to move it across my living room. Also, the green color kind of limited what colors I used to decorate.

So when a couple of people admired it, I mentioned that I would be willing to sell it. Well one person acted really interested, but I didn't hold my breath, knowing that she most likely didn't have the $$ to buy.

The other person I mentioned it to, said that she had a friend who was looking to buy a piano. I didn't think twice about it, because even if this friend was looking to buy a piano, who knew if she wanted a really heavy green piano?

Well, this past Tuesday, this person called me and asked if I would still be willing to sell the piano. I was like, "Well, yeah I guess so". Within 10 minutes, the friend was on the phone with me arranging a time to see the piano that night. That night the friend came and saw it. She liked it and tried to make a deal. We bought the piano for around $450 and that was all that we were asking for it. We told her that we just wanted our money back from the piano so that we could go out and buy a different piano. She acted very interested, and left after telling us that she would most likely take it.

That night she called and said that she wanted the piano, and that she would call me the next day to arrange when she would pick it up. We had mentioned that hubby could help move the piano any day this week after 5:45. Well the next day around that time, a van with a trailer pulled up. So she forgot to call, but it worked out for the best.

The next day I already was missing that darn piano. My living room looked very dowdy without it. It's weird that a piece of furniture can make such a difference.

Well I started looking for another piano the same day they picked our old one up. There wasn't anything I was interested in that day, but the next day, Thursday, their was a new Thrifty Nickel coming out. It it was this ad.

"WURLITZER UPRIGHT piano/ bench, excellent condition."

Well, I was a little skeptical about the piano, because it said it was an upright. That usually means that its a really tall, really heavy piano, just like the one we got rid of. But I googled it using google images, and what came up were pictures of smaller console pianos. So because of that, and the fact that it was smack dab in the middle of our price range, I called and left a message.

They called back and they assured me that it was a smaller console type piano. We arranged a time for us to go see it tonight. They lived in the next town over, in the middle of the country, so we also benefitted from a chance to drive through the area where we want to buy a few acres of land in the next year or two to build our dream house on.

We got there and the people were really nice. they had horses and dogs. C was in heaven. The dogs were very nice and gentle. One was huge and named "candy" and the other was mini and named "Sweetie". C got really brave and pet the big one quite a few times. I can't wait until we have some land and can have dogs! The only thing that I don't know if I would do, is they allowed the dogs inside, which I'm usually for, it just seemed weird to have this huge dog lumbering around inside the house. :)

They led us to a separate entrance, what looked like a mother in law apartment. The woman had mentioned that the piano had belonged to her husbands mother who had passed away something like 6 years earlier, so I would assume that was who had been living there. It currently looked unoccupied.

The piano was great. It was in good shape, and had great sound. I liked what I saw and played all the keys to make sure they all worked. I also played a few chords and part of an Enya song to get an idea of what the sound was like.

The lady left us alone for a few minutes to talk. We decided to make an offer. I should mention that before we left to go see the piano, I called my mom. She has a sister who buys and sells pianos, and Mom had at one time attempted to make a buisiness out of it also. It didn't go very far though. I just don't think she had a passion for it. She ended up buying 2 pianos. She sold the one to my sister, and restored the other and I think gave it to my brother. Anyway, my point is that she knew some things about price. She said that they were really asking to much for the piano and that we should offer about $100 less. I guess this time of the year is not the best for selling pianos. She said the time to unload a piano is in the fall when parents are starting their kids in piano lessons.

So when hubby and I finished discussing the piano, we went to find this lady. She was just across the yard feeding the horses. C was in heaven. When I asked her if she would deal with us, she said to make her an offer. Hubby said would you take X amount ($100 less than asking price). She went and discussed this with her hubby and came back. We got the piano!!!

So we are going to pick it up on Saturday!! YAY!

I'm so excited to have a piano that isn't so unique. One that won't force a certain palatte of colors on my living room. It is beautiful though. A perfect color of finish. Not to light, but not super dark either.

Speaking of that, I forgot to mention that the lady we sold our original piano to has a love for the color green. I guess that she parts of her house decorated entirely in green. So the piano has finally found its proper home. Let me say at this time that the piano was sort of a sage-y green. Not horrible at all. Just that you had to choose colors to decorate that went along with it.

But anyway, everyone is happy!

No comments: